Well it has happened...at last the zero draft from the co-chairs of the SDG OWG is out. First I would like to say that they and the UN DSD secretariat deserve a huge thanks for getting us here. It has been a long road and although there is much to still be done before September 2015 this is a very good start. We have had 11 SDG OWG sessions with input from experts, stakeholders and governments in a very inclusive and transparent way. So their zero draft makes the first list of Proposed Sustainable Development Goals to be attained by 2030 (copy of the zero draft link is here):
- End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- End hunger, achieve food security and adequate nutrition for all, and promote sustainable agriculture
- Attain healthy life for all at all ages
- Provide equitable and inclusive quality education and life-long learning opportunities for all
- Attain gender equality, empower women and girls everywhere
- Secure water and sanitation for all for a sustainable world
- Ensure access to affordable, sustainable, and reliable modern energy services for all
- Promote strong, inclusive and sustainable economic growth and decent work for all
- Promote sustainable industrialization
- Reduce inequality within and among countries
- Build inclusive, safe and sustainable cities and human settlements
- Promote sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Promote actions at all levels to address climate change
- Attain conservation and sustainable use of marine resources, oceans and seas
- Protect and restore terrestrial ecosystems and halt all biodiversity loss
- Achieve peaceful and inclusive societies, rule of law, effective and capable institutions
- Strengthen and enhance the means of implementation and global partnership for sustainable development
The most interesting part of the paper is goal 17. What they have done is to show how particular MoI would fit under each goal. This enables there to be an agreement either to leave it as a separate goal or to put them under the relevant goal at a later stage. What is missing from 17 is a common structure under which the MoI for each goal would be clearly built. At this point they are just a set of paras. Id like to make some suggestion of what these might be:
- Capacity building,
- Technology sharing,
- Education and training.
- Financial resources: Public (domestic and foreign, aid and investment) and Private (capital flows, business, foundations, NGOs and other) resources.
- Information for decision-making: Monitoring and assessing progress,
- Institutional Mechanisms and Co-ordination
- Stakeholder involvement
If governance does not stay within a separate goal then it should also be mainstreamed. Perhaps it should as well.
I am very happy to see Inequality back in as a goal both within and among countries it offers a real chance to put down a framework for addressing a real challenge to democracy. The growth of inequality over the last thirty years has been enormous and that needs to be reversed.
It is good also to see some Nexus targets in the text on water and food though not in under energy goal ...yet.
a few initial thoughts....
On goal 1 (poverty) we have the following:
"by 2030, eradicate extreme poverty by bringing the number of people living on less than $1.25 a day to zero."
This $1.25 should be updated to reflect inflation.
I was very pleased to see in Goal 8 (sustainable economic growth):
" explore the possibility of a broader system of capital accounting looking beyond GDP and incorporating social, human and environmental capital."
But it is very weak 'explore' no it should be "integrate a broader system of capital accounting looking beyond GDP and incorporating social, human and environmental capital y 2030."
Goal 11 (human settlements)
This will be critical to helping to create a dynamic follow up at the local level with local authorities and regional government playing a critical facilitating role.
On goal 12 (SCP)
We have "by 2030 increase by x% the number of companies, especially publicly listed and large companies, reporting on corporate social and environmental responsibility, including integrated reporting."
We should be seeing "by 2030 ALL companies listed on stock exchanges reporting on corporate social and environmental responsibility, including integrated reporting and then x% of other companies not listed to have integrated reporting by 2030."
On goal 13 (climate change)
...."hold the increase in global average temperature below a x°C rise in accordance with international agreements."
I think we know it has to be 2C so lets put it in.
These are just a few reflections that i wanted to share with you. More to come.